Adelaine Morin On Her Girls Supporting Girls Music Video, Tarte Collaboration And More!
1. What inspired you to spread the message about girl power in your new single ‘Girls Supporting Girls’?
Growing up in high school, I came across some amazing girls that would always be there for me and some awful girls that were catty, mean for no reason and flat out bullies. I've talked about this multiple times on my channel, but I've been physically pushed in the hallways, had false rumours spread about me and had girls try to break my boyfriend and I up when I've never had a conversation with them before. My goal with #GirlsSupportingGirls is to STOP the stigma that girls have to tear each other down to get to the top, and show that the only way we rise up is by lifting each other. I would never wish what I went through on someone else and I wouldn't have been able to get through it if it wasn't for my 3 girlfriends that were always there for me.
2. Can you tell us more about the inspiration for the music video?
The inspiration behind my music video was to tell a story. My first song and music video was 'Yellow,' which we focused mostly on aesthetics. We didn't have a storyline, just focusing solely on making the video pleasing to the eye. As for my #GirlsSupportingGirls music video, I wanted to take it a step further and create characters with character development and a storyline with DIALOGUE! I've never really acted before (Unless you count being a spoon in my middle school beauty and the beast play), so it was very challenging for me but I'm SO HAPPY with how it turned out. Beyonce's 'If I were a boy' music video was definitely a huge inspiration with the flashbacks
3. How does it feel to be a role model for so many young girls that watch your videos? I try to not think about being a role model too much or it'll stress me out. I'm so grateful to be in the position I'm in and I love my job, but I try to live my life to the fullest and make mistakes. I'm not perfect in any sense, I swear, I say dumb things, but I'm just genuinely me. If I live my life with the constant thought of 'What will the girls who look up to me think?' that would be a very stressful life! I'm grateful for the girls who look up to me, I wouldn't be able to do half of the things I'm able to do without them, but I encourage them to have multiple strong females to look up to in their lives and always try to stay genuine to you! Even if that means wasting your money on that dumb Gucci belt you'll wear a couple of times!
4. What was it like developing your own palette? Developing my first makeup product with my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE makeup company was an absolute dream. I remember getting the call from my manager and thinking, "Am I dreaming? Is this real? HOW AM I SO LUCKY?" I cannot even begin to express how much gratitude I had and have. I was an entire year worth of work, getting samples, approving or adding notes on samples, trips to New York for meetings and trying to keep the biggest career milestone of mine a secret! I have such a huge mouth, it was hard for me not to blurt it out. I even remember accidentally blurting out, "My makeup collaboration with Tarte," on a livestream and turned red! I tried to ignore it, but the comments were flooded with it! I ended the livestream and realized I cannot keep a secret for my life.
5. Do you have any good tips for using your Tarte palette? One of my tips for using my #AdelainexTarte palette is you can mix the "Promise ring" highlighter shade with the blush or gold shadows to create a COMPLETELY NEW highlighter shade! You can also use the shade "ConTOUR" to contour your face! It's a very versatile palette that I wanted any girl next door to use, but also have that pop of colour for fun nights out! Express yourself, QUEEN!
6. Can you give us an idea of what you have planned for the future? Any brand collaborations or exciting things on your channel coming up? I always tell people this is just the beginning for the #GirlsSupportingGirls movement. As someone who lost a loved one to ovarian cancer, I'm so ecstatic to say my company, @ShopAdelaineMorin just donated $10,000 to Ovarian Cancer Canada. We're making such a HUGE difference from just hoodies and a vision! As for the future, you can keep a lookout for #GirlsSupportingGirls in more retail stores, an EP or album from me, some hosting/acting and of course more YouTube content I've never done before! I hope you're excited about this new era!
7. What does a typical day in your life look like? Monday to Friday I have my assistant come over to my house and we work on emails, brand deals, planning #GirlsSupportingGirls photoshoots with fans, videos, photos, etc. in my studio or on location. It really depends on the day. Some days we have a million things to do and some days we fool around and watch Trisha Paytas all day. My assistant is also a photographer (Shoutout to Holly, @HollyObee ), so we always make an excuse to go out and take photos of my dogs, Blue and Lola. We're just two girls from a small town near Toronto trying to run an empire!
8. Who inspires you and why? My biggest inspiration as of right now is Shane Dawson. His docu-series content he's been putting out on YouTube as of recently is beyond any other creator's content. His quality, editing, storyline, way or storytelling is just impeccable. Another inspiration of mine is, of course, Ariana Grande. She's one of the biggest girl bosses out there with one of the strongest fanbases. It's because she takes the time to respond to them, meet them, post for them, stay connected with them, and I admire that a lot about her. I watch her behind the scenes of her music videos and I do not know how she's constantly working! She's a machine! She also makes it a point to touch on mental health and going to therapy, which I admire about her as well.
9. What one piece of advice that you would like to share with your fans? One piece of advice I'd like to share with my Adelangels is that the world may feel dark at times, but always know there is a fellow girl cheering you on whether you know it or not! Never compare your chapter 1 to someone else's chapter 20 and stay genuine to YOU! THAT is how us girls will conquer the world and CURE cancer! I can't say thank you enough for all that you do for me whether it's buying my apparel, my palette, liking my photos, watching my videos, etc. Thank you! This is just the beginning! xoxo