Building A Makeup Brand: 20 Exclusive Tips From 5 Up and Coming Entrepreneurs
Updated: Jan 31, 2020
Are you interested in selling makeup? Maybe one of your New Years goals is to start your own business. Making and selling makeup is a great way to earn some extra money while also doing something that you love. I understand that this can be an overwhelming process and you may not know where to begin which is where I come in. I reached out to a few new makeup companies on Instagram and asked them all the burning questions that you might have before getting started. Keep reading to see what they said.
An Introduction To The Entrepreneurs:
Here is a little bit about each of the brands that participated in this Q & A.
#1- The Glossery By Kate
A company which has been created by a young entrepreneur looking to raise $750 to go on a school choir trip to Disneyland where they will be performing.
#2- Leilani Beauty:
A new and upcoming business based in the UK who are planning to launch a range of scented, glitter and coloured lip glosses on the 4th of July. They also plan on launching lashes, makeup accessories and more cosmetics.
#3- Cyro Beauty:
An internet beauty shop selling all the cutest and up to date products. It is run by Kyah, an 18-year-old college student from Norfolk State.
#4- Lipgloss By Nina
"I love making lip gloss and will start selling it shortly"
#5 - Thirteen Cosmetics:
A black-owned vegan business whose message is that it's not just about the makeup but it's about how you feel in it as well.
1. Are there any legal requirements for selling products?
- #1: You need a business license, EIN number and a resellers permit.
2. Do you have any money-saving tips for a new business?
- #2: I have plenty of money-saving tips. Whenever I get the money I move it into my savings account so that I am not tempted to spend it. I also have a list on my wall that reminds me why I'm saving money which stops me from being tempted.
3. Roughly how much money is needed to start building your beauty brand?
- #3: Well that's kind of a hard one. I'm only starting off with lashes to see how much it is to set up, lights, trays, packaging and a good deal has run me $55 USD. If we're talking about everything I'm going to sell it will be around $200 USD.
4. How much should you charge customers for products?
- #4: Around 4 to 5 dollars
5. Should people ship their products nationally and internationally?
- #5: I'm currently not shipping internationally but I do US shipping through my website and on the website Melanoid exchange.
6. Do you have any tips for promoting your business and gaining new customers?
- #1: I would say using hashtags because they really help people find your page
7. Is having a PR list or brand ambassadors important for a new makeup company?
- #2: I do believe having one is important as they really promote your business to a great extent. You reach audiences that are interested in cosmetics and new people in general.
8. How important is your Instagram presence and how often should you be posting?
- #3: Your presence on Instagram is important!! Hashtags, liking, sfs and following are all needed to get your business name out there. I'm not sure how often you should post but maybe once a day on your actual page and however many times on your story.
9. Where is the best place to buy boxes, stickers etc. for branding?
- #4: I buy all of my stickers/labels from Vistaprint
10. Should you ask beauty blogs to review your products?
- #5: I believe that sending beauty blogs products to review is a good way to get your product out because the main way we hear about products is through social media and word of mouth. It is a wonderful way to increase traffic in your business.
11. What are the basic supplies needed to start your company?
- #1: Lip gloss base, tubes a syringe, pigments and scents if you would like to add them
12. What does it mean to have 'cosmetic grade' ingredients?
- #2: Grades are used to tell how pure/natural a product is but technically there isn't a grade as products are either extremely natural or extremely toxic ingredients.
13. What are some important ingredients that should be included in a lip gloss?
- #3: The most important would be anything organic. Organic products let your customers know that you care about them and what goes on there lips.
14. Where is the best place to buy applicators, tubes etc. in bulk?
- #4: I buy all of mine from a website called Wish
15. Where can you buy safe makeup products?
- #5: Ulta and wholesale makeup vendors will sell safe makeup
Words Of Advice:
16. If you could tell yourself one thing when starting your company what would it be?
- #1: Probably to stay on top of everything and try my hardest!
17. Would you encourage others to start their own makeup company?
- #2: I would only encourage those that are determined and have the correct mindset. It has many downsides and it is difficult to get it running at first but it is really rewarding once you get the hang of it.
18. How do you motivate yourself to keep going and reaching your goals?
- #3: I remind myself that it's something I really want to do but also to have fun. I enjoy meeting other business owners and having conversations with them, comparing sites and items that I could use.
19. Why should someone create their own brand?
- #4: Someone should create their own brand to show who they really are, and it makes you feel happy when you see that someone has received a package from you. I love that feeling!
20. Any final pieces of advice?
- #5: Be yourself, in business that's what sets you aside from everyone else, you have something that everyone else doesn't have.
Thank you to Glossery By Kate, Leilani Beauty Cosmetics, Cyro Beauty, Lipgloss By Nina and Thirteen Cosmetics for sharing your knowledge and experience. You should follow all of them and Miss Makeup on Instagram to learn more about their brands.