Gossip Girl: Serena Van Der Woodsen - Recreate The Makeup Look Of Your Favourite Upper East Siders
Updated: Aug 2, 2019
Disclaimer: This article contains spoilers for all 6 seasons of Gossip Girl
Hey Upper Eastsiders, Gossip Girl here. And I have the biggest news ever
It's time to pull out your headbands because Gossip Girl is returning for a 10 episode on HBO's new streaming service in 2020. I am a huge fan of Gossip Girl so when I heard the news I knew I had to create a Miss Makeup post about it (or should I say 3?). The next 4 Miss Makeup posts are dedicated to Manhattan's elite our Queen B Blair Waldorf, Serena Van Der Woodsen, Little J (Jenny Humphrey) and Vanessa Abrams. Each product will feature 5 of the characters most iconic makeup looks, steps on how to recreate the look and recommended products (some which the shows makeup artist actually used on the actresses when filming the show!)
Serena Van Der Woodsen's style was quite different to Blair's and the other girls on the Upper east Side, While they were classy and preppy she has more of a boho chic look. Serena's makeup is usually very natural with a statement lip or bold eyeshadow look.
All images courtesy of Netflix/The CW unless stated otherwise
Look 1: Serena's First Appearance (Season 1, Episode 1)
We first see Serena as she gets off a train at Grand Central Station. She's on her way to reconnect with the friends she left behind after running off to boarding school.
- Use a tinted moisturizer or glowy foundation to achieve the base of Serena's makeup
- Use a shimmery bronzer on the forehead and cheeks
- A rosy red or pink blush tapped onto the cheeks will create a minimalistic look
- Lightly coat your lashes with mascara
- Natural brown eyeshadows with some shimmers
- A glassy pink gloss with a nude undertone
Look 2: Her Mother's 3rd Wedding To Bart Bass (Season 1, Episode 18)
The makeup look at Serena wore at her mum and Bart Bass' wedding was one of her most glamorous looks of the series. Since Serena usually has very natural makeup, this look really stood out to me.
- A clear base using a full coverage foundation
- Light brown bronzer all over the face
1. Dust a charcoal black shade across the entire lid
2. Brighten the crease and brow bone using a light shimmery beige
3. Coat your lashes with an intense black mascara
4. Optional: apply false lashes for an extra touch of glamour
- Apply a matte hot pink lip gloss
Look 3: When She Wore "Jenny's" Design At Fashion Week (Season 2, Episode 5)
In this episode Serena went from sitting front row of Eleanor Waldorf 's fashion show with Poppy Lifton to modelling one of the designs.
- A heavy blush going up from the apples of the cheeks are the key to executing S's complexion
- A medium to full coverage foundation is also recommended
- Shimmery pink eyeshadow shades specifically in the crease and the lower lash line
- Draw a thick line on the upper and lower lash lines using black eyeliner
- Use mascara to coat your lashes and spread out your lower lashes
- S's lip look is very similar to her natural colour as she uses a pink nude lipstick
Look 4: Being A Maid Of Honour For Blair's Marriage To Prince Louis Season 5, Episode 13)
Gossip Girl's 100th episode has to be one of the most dramatic of the whole show. The drama began at Blair and Prince Louis wedding where Serena was the made of honour. Her bronzy eyes and lightly flushed cheeks added to the girliness of the blush pink dress.
- Wear a pink blush with a red undertone on the apples of your cheeks
1. Pat a shimmery eyeshadow across the entire eyelid and up to the brow bone
2. Apply a pink shade similar to the lip gloss into the crease to add colour
3. Line the lower and upper lash line with a brown eyeliner
- Apply a pink lipstick with a mauve nude lip gloss over the top
Look 5: Serena and Dan's Wedding (Season 6, Episode 10)
Serena and Dan's wedding was a Derena fans dream. The happy couple got married in the shows series finale in 2012. Serena's wedding dress was stunning with the gold features along the bodice and skirt. She wore a natural glow makeup look and let the dress be the statement of the look.
- Serena's face is peachy so a peach blush will work well to replicate this look
- Mix the blush with a bronzer and dust it along the forehead and cheeks
- Brush a deep violet colour on the lid and down to the lower lash line
- Subtle mascara on the eyelashes will keep a natural look
- Draw a thin line across the lash line using brown eyeliner
- A shiny mauve nude lip gloss is used for Serena's lips
- Nars Sheer Glow Foundation (Source of the first image)
- Chanel Glossimer Lip Gloss (Source of the second image)
- Smashbox Cover Shot Eyeshadow Palette: Softlight (Source of the third image)
- NYX Dewy Finish Setting Spray (Source of the fourth image)
- Too Faced Papa Don't Peach Blush (Source of the fifth image)
I hope that you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it. I love being able to write about beauty looks from Gossip Girl characters so expect many more articles about them soon. Who are your favourite characters and what other makeup looks should I write about?
To read more Gossip Girl related posts check out our 'Gossip Girl' section on the Blog page or click the links below