Gossip Girl: Vanessa Abrams - Recreate The Makeup Looks Of Your Favourite Upper East Siders
Updated: Aug 2, 2019
Disclaimer: This article contains spoilers for all 6 seasons of Gossip Girl
Hey Upper Eastsiders, Gossip Girl here. And I have the biggest news ever
It's time to pull out your headbands because Gossip Girl is returning for a 10 episode on HBO's new streaming service in 2020. I am a huge fan of Gossip Girl so when I heard the news I knew I had to create a Miss Makeup post about it (or should I say 3?). The next 4 Miss Makeup posts are dedicated to Manhattan's elite our Queen B Blair Waldorf, Serena Van Der Woodsen, Little J (Jenny Humphrey) and Vanessa Abrams. Each product will feature 5 of the characters most iconic makeup looks, steps on how to recreate the look and recommended products (some which the shows makeup artist actually used on the actresses when filming the show!)
All images courtesy of Netflix/The CW unless stated otherwise
Look 1: Vanessa's First Appearance (Season 1, Episode 6)
Vanessa first appears in the 6th episode of the first season. This is my absolute favourite episode of Gossip Girl because of the first masquerade ball of the show. Vanessa shows up at the beginning of the episode without warning to surprise Dan. He's already moved on to Serena so he tells Vanessa he can't hang out because of school work. Dan is actually going to the ball where Vanessa see's him with Serena. She was only there for half an episode and already causing problems with the Upper East Siders.
- V's skin is glowing when she first arrives on the Upper East Side so a dewy foundation would work best
- Bronzer is also an important step for this look
- Golden brown and pink eyeshadow shades work well for this look
- A black winged eyeliner
- A faint line of eyeliner on the lower lash line
- Lightly coat lashes in black mascara
- A simple clear lip gloss
Look 2: Snowflake Charity Ball Wearing A Dress Made Specially By Jenny (Season 2, Episode 12)
Poor V, she thought she was doing the right thing but Jenny wanted to get her revenge. In case you've forgotten this is the episode where Jenny makes a see through dress for Vanessa to wear to the Snowflake Ball. The minions shine a spotlight on Vanessa which ends in embarrassment for both her and Jenny.
- Brush a pink blush shade from the apples of the cheeks to the hairline
- Bronze your forehead with a shimmery brown bronzer
- Lilac purple and silver shimmery shades of eyeshadow are worn by V to match her dress
- A few layers of a glassy hot pink lip gloss will complete this night time look
Look 3: When Her and Blair Fought To Deliver The Freshman Toast At Parents Weekend (Season 3, Episode 6)
Vanessa wears this look in one of Blair's dreams at the beginning of this episode. In the dream, Vanessa is chosen to deliver the freshman toast at parents weekend for NYU with a jealous Blair in the audience. They are both dressed like they are in an old Hollywood movie as you can see from V's hair and dress.
- This look is structured and contoured so a bronzing kit would work best to recreate it
- A peachy blush for darker skin tones and a pink blush or fairer skin tones
- Bright white and shimmery eyeshadows are used for this look to let the lips stand out
- Draw a thin line of black eyeliner on the lash line
- A bold red liquid lipstick will look exactly like Vanessa's in this episode
Look 4: Taking Down The Upper East Siders With Juliet (Season 4, Episode 8)
At the exact moment the above picture was taken, Vanessa is revealing to Nate what her and Juliet's plans are to take down Serena. This episode takes place at the Metropolitan Opera where Juliet and Vanessa try to give a USB to the Dean. Vanessa is more dressed up than we usually see her in a flowing backless pink dress.
- A natural flush of peachy blush on the apples of the cheeks
- A deep brown bronzer for
- Candy pink and light brown eyeshadows in the crease and on the lid
- Use a shimmery shade or highlighter to highlight the brow bone
- Apply a shimmery pink lipstick with a clear lipglass on top
- NYX Butter Gloss: Cinnamon Roll (Source of the first image)
- Bobbi Brown Sunkissed Pink Eyeshadow Palette (Source of the second image)
- M.A.C Clear Lip Glass (Source of the third image)
I hope that you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it. I love being able to write about beauty looks from Gossip Girl characters so expect many more articles about them soon. Who are your favourite characters and what other makeup looks should I write about?
To read more Gossip Girl related posts check out our 'Gossip Girl' section on the Blog page or click the links below